Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

More odd Angelicus behavior

Posted By: Aqualoach <aqualoach@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 22 April 2003, at 11:12 a.m.

Well, once you think you've seen a loach do everything they pull a new trick out of their hat. You won't believe what my Angelicus are doing now.

First of all they are still in my 10 gallon quarintine tank that is filtered by a Penguin Bio-Wheel Mini. The filter has gotten a little clogged so there is water leaking out on each side of the intake tube. Well, I was checking on my loaches last night and I saw TWO of these fellas resting with their pectoral fins propped up on the side of the filter on each side of the intake tube. The tip of their heads were about an inch above the surface of the water and the bottom half of their body was still in the water (hope this is making sense). I thought they were dead.. or at least on their way to being so. So I reached down to try to nudge them back into the tank and they suddenly flopped back down into the water! I couldn't believe that they were actually up out of the water willingly.

I figured I would put a stop to this so I cleaned out the filter and the water stopped leaking down the side of the filter. This morning when I checked on them again and what do you know.. there was an Angelicus completely out of the water resting next to the intake tube (on the edge of the filter)! There was still a little bit of water there.. but there wasn't any water flowing. I figured this guy had to be dead.. but once again when I approached him he instantly plopped back down into the water like it was nothing. Can you believe this? Then I left the room.. came back about 5 minutes later and there was another loach up there.

Are these guys psycho or what? I was worried about them getting stuck up there and not getting any water when I left for work today, so I fixed the filter so that water would leak back down the intake. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I try to block off the filter or just leave it, as they seem happy up there?

Ryan

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.