Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

OT - Amazon Sword Problem(?) *PIC*

Posted By: Mr. LeadFoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 22 April 2003, at 10:05 p.m.

Something weird has happened with all my swords in 3 separate tanks. Within the last couple of weeks, they've ALL suddenly developed a weird growth pattern:

Many of the stems at the base, and most new growth APPEARS like they're rotting. At first, that's exactly what I thought it was. So, after a week of no change, I decided to trim off all leaves where the stems were "rotting". Lo and behold to my surprise, the brown stems and leaves were all still very tough. Interestingly the new leaves are nearly translucent. The brown parts of the stems and new leaves only LOOK like they're rotting. At first glance one might think brown algae, but that's not the case.

Some of these plants are over a year old, and very majestic-looking. Leaves are very long and these plants are like bushes. But, I can't understand what's causing the mal-nutritioned-appearing growth.

Below are pics of one sword from different angles. As you can see in the first pic the leaves are over 12 inches long. In the second pic you can see the weak color of the new leaves, and the brownish stems on both established and new growth.

All plants are planted in sand, their crowns are NOT buried, and all roots look green and white, and seem very healthy. I run no CO2, fertilize very little (never really needed to, although I once in awhile feed them Seachem Flourish). Are the plants simply getting too big for their britches, or...? Do I need to do more frequent water changes? I change water once every 1-2 weeks. Water is also very soft, and always has been. All other plants including the corkscrew vallisneria you can see in the first pic are VERY healthy. Any ideas?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.