Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

sick clowns

Posted By: Simon <simeon@canada.com>
Date: Wednesday, 23 April 2003, at 9:49 p.m.

My clowns are sick. At first I thought I was dealing with ick, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I had ick appear in a small tank I have with cardinals about a week ago, a day later when one of my clowns started flashing and showing white spots I thought I'd cross contaminated the tank somehow.

I did a big water change and started treating with quickcure.

First one clown died, then another, now my last three aren't looking so good.

They've got white spots, but not quite as crystalline looking as ick - looks more like icing sugar. The white is mostly covering their faces, but also their tails.

Each fish, as its gotten bad, takes to sitting vertically in the top back right corner of the tank, beside the heater, almost like its gasping for air. One of the last three started this yesterday, the other two started today.

They're breathing rapidly and their mouths are open.

These clowns are 3 - 5 inches long, I've had them about two years and they've survived ick before.

Could this be velvet? Or something else?

Their are other fish in the tank, gouramis, dwarf raibows, barbs, a pleco, no one shows signs of anything.

I do have salt in the water - 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. The temp is about 80.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Simon

Messages In This Thread

Vie