Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

What's killing kuhlis?

Posted By: Bill <Wsmbill@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 3 May 2003, at 11:13 a.m.

I've got a 75 gallon tank, clay covered in sand and pebbles for a substrate. Some real wood, all live plants. The organic matter keeps the pH down at about 6.2. I have a ton of loaches in it - clowns, angelicus, yoyos, horseface, weather loaches, sids, a schistura, some hillstreams, and both regular banded and black kuhlis. All of them are rather happy, and healthy. There's plenty of hiding spots, i give them a varied diet. I've had zero loach deaths in the tank, except for the regular banded kuhli loaches. The black kuhlis do just fine. But every single regular kuhli i put in dies. Some in a couple days, some after a few weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? Obviously, the conditions in my tank are fine for the bulk of loaches