Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Time for an equipment upgrade... *PIC*

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@telus.net>
Date: Sunday, 4 May 2003, at 3:05 a.m.

Well, I've just about had it with the canister filters on the 135 gallon. Its an incredible hassle trying to keep them running in top shape so we're building something better.

I've looked into buying or building my own sump, and have ruled it out. We're going to be adding CO2 to this tank in a few weeks and I can't have a sump outgassing all the CO2 before the plants can use it.

Sooooo, we've been looking at building a modular system.

We've been looking at modules from the "Ocean Clear" and "Rainbow Lifeguard" series and are pretty impressed. I think I'm more impressed by the design of the Ocean Clear Mechanical modules (nice wide base, lots of surface area), however the cartride cost is about double that of the Rainbow Lifeguard. I may start off with the Lifeguard and replace any components that I don't like (gotta love modular systems!)

So the system will include a large pump, at least one (maybe two) mechanical Module, a chemical module (for carbon if needed), a heater module (an empty sleeve that heaters fit in so they can be kept out of the tank), a 25 watt UV sterilizer (only to be run for a couple of days a week to preserve plant nutrients), and a fluidized sand bed filter to act as a biological backup in case of plant die off. I"ll have a bypass valve installed to allow a slower flow rate through the FSB and the UV. The main return line will probably flow through a CO2 reactor (Aqualine Reactor 1000) before returning to the tank.

Its going to be expensive, but No more then the 2 Pro series Eheim canister filters I was looking at. Pretty good deal when you look at all the components.

Messages In This Thread