Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Loach Eggs all over my tank

Posted By: Ron <ronhawaii@yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, 23 May 2003, at 5:56 p.m.

Hi, I found this forum while trying to figure out what the heck is going on with my loaches. I am just a guy with 2 clown loaches in my tank that I have had for about a year now. I have very little aquarium experience so I am posting here to have a few questions answered if you all don't mind.

The loaches were in a 10 gallon tank with 2 Very large gold fish about as big as your fist and 2 small catfish. Everyone got along just fine until one of the gold fish mysteriously died. We didn't know what caused it so we just shrugged it off. Then a week or two later I caught the loaches attacking my other gold fish. Ate the fins right off and was tyring to finish him off. I removed the remaining fish from the tank to "recover". A later attempt to reintroduce the gold fish resulted in immediate attacks. So, needless to say, my loaches now have the 10 gallon tank to themselves!
This morning I found what looks like eggs in bunches in 4 different locations in the tank. The loaches are burroughing under the gravel in what looks like an attempt to lay even more. Here are my questions.
1.) Are these in fact eggs? (lightly golden with a web like structure almost like spiders would lay.
2.) Do loaches lay eggs prior to fertilization or after (please excuse my ignorance in the matter)
3.) If they lay only if fertilized, how long before they hatch?
4.) Is there anything I should do to protect them from being eaten?
I am quite concerned because I could find little or no information about breeding these fish. The jist I get is that this is very rare and difficult to do. So, I am writing to the experts to find out what the heck is going on here.

Thanks
Ron

Messages In This Thread