Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Jenny Craig for fat loaches?

Posted By: Allivymar <laluna_@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 18 July 2003, at 10:47 p.m.

Howdy folks:

I have 3 clowns in my tank atm. Purchased 3 all about 2 inches long; 1 died 36 hrs later (we are guessing he got spined in the eye as it was popped out despite being fine the day before). The remaining 2 went into the main tank after 3weeks QT and I purchased another. The last guy was the "small" size loach as they had no more "mediums" so I guess he was about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. On to my question.

Everyone is healthy, active and eating, but one of the original ones is so fat he looks like Jackie Gleason. While all 3 have put on some size since my original purchases (starting in June of this year), the smaller 2 have the shape (I expect to see anyway) of an immature clown. Fat boy however, is shaped like the big guys I see in some of the tank pics that have been posted here. The other 2 are not skinny by any means, but this one has a beer belly. If he would hold still enough for a pic I'll post one later.

So what's up with that? Does he need the loach version of Jenny Craig? Is it unusual to have one loach with different proportions although all of them are around the same age and breed, and were most likely from the same catch?

Messages In This Thread