Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

New Angelicus, New tank, Anything new? :-)

Posted By: Mr. Leadfoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tuesday, 19 August 2003, at 1:37 a.m.

Even though I still haven't put even water in my 75 gallon tank, I got a new 20 long. Although that in itself isn't anything spectacular, I think many of you can all relate to this:

Yesterday I got 3 angelicus because the price was so right at $5 apiece. At the time I had 3 of 4 tanks running - a 29 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon, which originally was intendeed to be a quaratine tank. Because I was stocking the other two tanks over time, I always kept fish in the q-tank, even when not quarantining new fish, so that when I did get new fish, I didn't have to set up the q-tank.

Well, as you might expect, I finally ended up overstocking the 29 and 10 gallons, thinking that I would be moving fish into my 75 gallon any day now, which I never did because it's still not set up, and I got the 75 in October of 2002! (I'm building an entertainment center around it, which is taking longer than I thought.)

Anyway, the last fish I got were 3 small histrionicas. I out them q-tine for 2 weeks, but after the two weeks were up, I found I had to room for them in any of the other tanks, and sice they were small, I figured I'd keep them in the q-tank, since I wasn't planning on any new fish until the 75 is up. I moved one of my bristlenoses into the q-tank after I knew the new fish were disease-free, to keep it clean of algae for me.

Well, knowing full well I had nowhere for my new angelicus to go, on my way home I was wondering what I would do with them. I remembered that I already had two filters on my 10 gallon (yes, it's that overstocked), and extra heater, and even the guts of a standard flourescent fixture that I kept after retrofitting the striplight with a compact flourescent.

So, with my new 3 polkadots in hand, I headed straight for PetsMart, who I knew carry 20 long tanks for a very good price.

When I got home I put the bag they were in in my 29 gallon tank, and went to set up the new 20 long, then move some fish around, which I thought would only take a few minutes. Well, one thing led to another, and I ended up moving all fish in the 10 gallon into the 20 long, and moving the 10 into play as my q-tank. It took nearly 2 hours just to get the fish moved from the already-established 10 gallon to the new 20, and put the new polkadots in the 10! By the time I was done with everything it was 4 hours later!

I think what took so long was thrying to establish a sequence for everything because I had to be careful not to contaminate any of the existing fish and tanks with the new plokadots and the water in their bag. I ended up thoroughly redoing the 5 and 10 gallon tanks, as well as setup the new 20, because it was a chore trying to catch the loaches I already had, even though they were in small tanks, because the tanks were well decorated and well-planted.

But, I tell you what, it was worth it. The 20 long now sits behind my desk on a credenza, and because the tank is so long, yet only 12 inches high, it seems much bigger. It's almost like watching a widescreen TV compared to a standard TV.

I decided to make a canopy for my 29 so I could use the hood from the 29 on the 20, so tonight I whipped out a canopy. It doesn't have the trim on it yet or the light mounted in it, but it is nearly done.

So much for a simple trip to the LFS, huh? :-) Anyone else with a similar fish-fanatic story?

Kelvin
P.S. My wife thinks I'm absolutely out of my mind because I know have 5 tanks!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index |