Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Vancouver Aquarium

Posted By: Mark in Vancouver <markmark@telus.net>
Date: Wednesday, 20 August 2003, at 8:47 p.m.

I had been looking at the various large loaches in collections of civic aquariums and bemoaning the fact that our local Vancouver Aquarium doesn't have any - but lo!
They do have some clown loaches! They've been given a really superb tank with a very sandy bottom and long (or rather, tall) plants. If you wait for a while, a school of about ten make themselves visible, the largest of which is maybe eight inches long, down to about three inches. But of course there are lots of people in there on a summer day, and they disappear to the back to hide out whenever someone new appears to gawk at them.
Otherwise, despite the fact that they still keep a few marine mammals (when will they learn?!), it's a pretty good collection of fish. The habitats from the pacific northwest coast are by far the best, with excellent reefs and an outstanding collection of invertibrates from local waters. They have a separate wing for tropicals (where you will find the clowns), and a neat Amazon section with their prize anaconda. This section also has a walk-through forest with live birds, butterflies, reptiles and even a pair of three-toed sloths hiding up in the rafters.
I digress.
I'd be curious to know of other city aquariums that keep loaches, other than the ones found on this site. Do they have any in your local?
Let us know.
Mark in Vancouver.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index |