Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Removed stem plants and loaches love it!

Posted By: Victor <pistor@austin.rr.com>
Date: Monday, 25 August 2003, at 11:47 a.m.

I finally got tired of having to prune my stem plants every week, so I removed them all. I also removed a very large sword. I planted a bunch of smaller sword-type and crypts. The tanks seems much bigger now and the light actually reaches the bottom.
Since I redid the plants, the clown loaches have been out and about like they haven't done in months! Before the change they would hide all day and only come out to eat. Not they go around swimming in groups and doing the loachy dance.
My theory is that now that there's light coming in, they can see the water surface and determine there are no predators around. Before, all they could see was plants, so they didn't feel as safe.
What do y'all think?