Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Please help my sick little loach

Posted By: starbug6 <starbug6@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 August 2003, at 11:56 p.m.

I am hoping that someone could help my sick little clown loach. First let me say that I only have one fish. I had another loach, but she died. I have no idea what happeded, I just found her dead. That was about a month ago. I was going to get 2 more loaches, but then I decided not to until I resloved a problem. My one loach has been showing signs of illness for a while now and I just don't know what to do anymore. First, I noticed some redness at the bas of his tail. This was a couple of weeks ago and at first, I didn't think anything of it because I just thought that his yellow tail was gradually turning red. Then, I noticed some white stuf (not ick) on the edges of his tail and what looked like fin rot. I went to the pet store and the fish guy suggested that I use Jungle labs fungus tabs. I used it and there was no change. At this point, he was still swimming around and eating, but his tail looked the same. Then, I went to the pet store and another guy suggested that I try Maracyn 2. I did a partial water changed, put the charcoal back in the filter for 12 hours to get some of the previous medication and to clean the water a bit. After removing the charcoal again, I put the Maracyn 2 in. I did that for 3 days and noticed that he was getting worse. He was hiding more, sleeping more, not swimming around much and eating less. There was no more white on his tail and the fraying of his tail was no worse, but he was behaving like he was getting sicker. In deperation, I went back to the fish store. I really didn't want to use more medication because I don't know how healthy that is, but what choice did I have? There was no knowledgable person there and since it was a Sunday, every other store was already closed. I ended up getting another medication called maroxy. It was safe to use with the maracyn, so I put a dose in the tank. Two days later, he actually seemed a little worse and was starting to dart and rub against things. I saw no sign of ick. I really didn't want to throw more medicine in. I went to another fish store and spoke to someone who seemed somewhat knowledgable.
She suggested that I use ick medicine because there are times when a fish has ick and doesn't have the white spots. She also suggested that I used melafix. I went home, did a partial water change and put the melafix in. I didn't put the ick medicine in because I was afraid. That stuff is strong (even at half the dose) and I felt very leary about it. Well, 36 hours have passed and the only change is that I don't see him rubbing against anything or darting. He is still hiding and sleeping alot and he barely eats. Does anyone have a clue as to what I am dealing with here? What should I do? I really love my little fish and I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.