Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Old loach...new friend?

Posted By: Ryan Barnard <ryanb-loach@nitecrawler.net>
Date: Saturday, 13 September 2003, at 3:38 p.m.

Hi all,

I got my loach from a friend 15 or 16 years ago (I don't know it's age at the time I got it). It's about 9 inches long and still very active. (A side question: how old do loaches get?)

Anyway, I've been debating if I should get a new loach to keep him company. The last time I had fish in the tank with him was about 6 years ago. It may seem a bit silly, but I'm worried about shock or unable to adapt to seeing another loach in there with him after all this time of being alone.

Another factor...I was told at my local pet store that loaches eat the shimp pellets that sink, but this guy only eats goldfish flakes. I tried switching to the pellets last year, but he got physically sick...I thought he was just about to die. :( So if I got a new loach, then I'