Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Dead Schistura *PIC*

Posted By: Allivymar
Date: Tuesday, 21 October 2003, at 7:13 p.m.

*sigh* My new schistura bit the dust the other day. I can't figure out why; 5 hours prior he was active and swimming around the tank. Behavior was normal, and there were no obvious marks. However, when we got home later that eve, he was dead on the bottom of the tank. I took some pics, as he looked very different (I'll try to post em).

The stripes on the left side disappeared from the dorsal fin back. The vent was reddened, as was the gills. The left eye was also somewhat swollen, but it was laying on the left side on the gravel and I wonder if it (as well as the missing stripes) was post mortem damage and not a sign of what killed him.

The yoyo loach bought at the same time is loving life tho, and showing no signs of illness. Then again, neither did this one. He was in the main tank after 2 1/2 weeks of QT (and showed no signs of illness in QT; was active, eating and trying to beat on the yoyo). Did a big (40-50%) water change after, but I don't know if I need to worry bout the other fish in the tank (5 angelfish, 3 clowns, the yoyo and a plec). None of the other fish look or act ill. Any thoughts on what might have been the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.