Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Bluegreen algae update

Posted By: mark in vancouver <markmark@telus.net>
Date: Friday, 31 October 2003, at 5:52 p.m.

Well, just so you know... Erithromyacin (sp?) does the trick pretty damn fast on cyanobacteria. Mind you, it's only a ten gallon tank, but one single treatment reduced the stuff noticeably. I also bought a small-sized cannister filter for my power head (301) and set it up in the affected tank, which, I'm guessing, is pulling a lot of the dead algae particles and other detritus out of the water. The water really hasn't been so clear in a long time and both the Schistura and the white clouds are enjoying the extra current. My LFS guy - who I really trust - says that damage to the biofilter will be minimal if noticeable, but I'm adding a little Cycle just to be safe.
That, with the reduced lighting (down to ten hours a day for the next week or so), has tidied up a thick blanket of the algae and removed a kind of skin to the surface of the water.
It's all good.
And I am so impressed by the amount of gunk that the "polishing" filter removes from the water, I think I'll start rotating the powerhead to my other tanks, certainly at water change time - if not just add new powerheads in the future.
Mark in Vancouver.

PS, just as a final note - if you're dealing with blue/green algae and you've got more than one tank, make sure you clean the affected tank last, and then wash all your siphons/vaccuums carefully so as not to transfer the stuff into unaffected tanks.

Messages In This Thread