Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

BGA (Blue Green "Algae") and Erthromycin

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@onlinetoday.com>
Date: Monday, 17 November 2003, at 12:31 a.m.

I attended a focus group led by Neil Frank at the Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention in Dallas this past weekend. Neil is a long time planted tank guru.

He recommended a couple of things to battle BGA:

1) "Hornwort should naturally win over BGA in 2 - 3 weeks." Hornwort is a floating plant that should not be "planted" on the bottom, otherwise the planted portion will die in order to allow the plant to float again. Neil said that if portions of the Hornwort began to be covered by BGA, cut off that portion and discard.

2) Maracyn (Erthromycin). He recommended to use this 1X and at 1/2 strength. He also claimed that full strength can cause resistant strains of BGA (funny, I would have thought just the opposite), and to beware of erthromycins that contain phosphate (causing an algae bloom). This was a point that I wasn't entirely clear on. I don't have a package of Maracyn. What does the package read? Does *this* product contain phosphate, or is just others? Perhaps that was another reason for the 1/2 strength? Dunno.

Anyway, I thought I'd just pass this on.

JL

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.