Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Efficient Heating

Posted By: Curtis
Date: Tuesday, 25 November 2003, at 10:15 a.m.

I have a problem with total amount of power used at one time in my apartment. My apartment only has 2 - 20 amp circuits. So if the tanks all decide to heat it can trip the circuit breaker. So I need to come up with a more efficient way of heating tanks.

I have a 220, 125 and a 55 gallon tank and 2 55 gallon drums of heated water for water changes.

Any ideas would be helpful. I'm planning on installing a powerhead to blow across the heater. I figure the water movement across the heating surface should make heating more efficient and then I could cut back on my total watts used for heating. (The problem is maximum amount of draw on the circuit not power consumption over time. So if a heater has to stay on longer it's not a problem... So I need lower wattage heaters that are on more time or the ab