Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Heat Problem

Posted By: LeadFoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wednesday, 3 December 2003, at 2:46 a.m.

I usually run my tanks at between 82 and 84 degrees, and setup my new 75 gallon tank at 82 degrees over Thanksgiving. Today, I noticed something alarming:

I walked by the tank and two clown loaches were zooming all over the place, while a 3rd was hiding vertically in one of my 20 inch tall Amazon Swords. The blue tiger barbs were also zooming around. Since the tank is new, I hadn't finished all the caves yet, so I set about adding some new rock. When I put my hand in the tank I freaked because the water was VERY hot!

At first I thought, it just felt hot because the room was a bit cold, being it's almost winter here in Northern California, but when I looked at the little suction cup thermometer in the tank it read 92F degrees! I then looked at the digital thermometer on my Eheim Pro II Thermofilter and it read 32.9C.

I can't figure out what's causing the high temps. I could've sworn the thermometer was reading a constant 82F the past few days since it's been setup.

Speaking of setups, the tank has 220watts of compact flourescents in an enclosed hood, however, the hood contains two fans and doesn't get hot at all. Thinking that a dirty filter might contribute to the raised heat, being that this Eheim has the heater built in, I cleaned the filter. But, I can't really tell if that helped...I'm not even sure that could even cause it.

I'm worried if I go to sleep the fish will boil.

Questions:

1) Could a dirty filter cause the temps to raise that high?

2) Is it possible that my water level is too high, thereby putting the water too close to the glass top which does get somewhat hot from the lights? Should I raise the lights higher?

3) Anybody got any ideas?

TIA

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.