Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Breeding the Beautiful Botias

Posted By: Tom Waltzek <tbwaltzek@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 3 December 2003, at 9:31 p.m.

Howdy Loach Fans,

It has been years since I posted on LOL. Glad to see some of the old guys are still around as well as host of new loach fanatics. Anywho, I am writing to ask about the current condition of those of you who maintain large Botia species (especially macracanthus). I've noticed over the years that around this time of year my 6-9 inch clowns begin to fatten up (i.e. the females). This makes sense since the breeding season for clowns is early spring. I've been working with reproductive physiologists at UC Davis and last year around this time I extracted eggs from three of my largest females. I was all ready to inject hormones but waited too long and the females reabsorbed their eggs as they do every year if they don't spawn. Anyway, I'm waiting ver