Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Do I have a whirler?

Posted By: Matt in PA <mazzamatt@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 12 December 2003, at 1:27 a.m.

Hello fellow aquarium lovers.
I am new to this board, and I need some help.

I have 4 clowns, one of which seems to have a big problem. I got him about a week or so ago along with another. One is fine, eats, swims around normally, and does all the things you expect from a healthy fish. The other, has never eaten, and for the first 3 days in my 55 gal, did nothing but hide in various places. On the 4th day, he began swimming like he was insane. He swims with intense speed, does violent loops, circles, barrel rolls, and crashes into the walls, bottom, and cover. He tends to spin violently for extended periods of time and then passes out on the bottom. Then he gets up and does it again. And again. He has been doing this for the past 3 days - and still hasn't eaten.
He is beginning to drop weight.

I have searched this board and I think this fish may have the whirling thing. He has been in a hospital tank for the past day and I'm treating him with Jungle Fungus Clear, which, according to the box, treats swim bladder disease. He has shown no improvement. I know the little guy is suffering, and I'd like to ask the experts here if there is anything that can be done to save this fish. If not, I'll euthanatize him, because he is clearly suffering.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.