Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

****Virus Warning*****

Posted By: Martin Thoene <gkadar@sympatico.ca>
Date: Saturday, 13 December 2003, at 10:26 a.m.

Momfish and I were absent from here yesterday because our Computer was Toast.

Night before last, we picked up a virus via MyE-bay. Someone is obviously attacking E-bay by this means.

What happens is that when your computer boots up, your Desktop background will launch and then before any icons appear a small window screen comes up. This is a MyE-bay login screen. Momfish recently bought some Persian rugs via E-Bay and is registered with a user name and password. Anybody else who's ever bought stuff through E-bay would, I guess be similarly in their system and at risk.

It requires your user name and password. Boot up ceases at this point, so you're stuck with this window. I suggested that she log in to see what happens. This launches a screen requesting just about every darned detail of your life, excluding your inside leg measurement, but includes credit card #'s, PIN #'s, etc. Obviously, the intention is to catch the few doofuses who will fill in this form and send it. I'd imagine that then the perp is going to go shopping at that person's expense.

So, you're stuck with not being able to use your computer. That means you can't visit E-bay or anywhere else. Once you've been through the hell of dumping your entire computer files and re-installing everything to get to where we are now....do you think we're going back to E-bay? Uh uh! Obviously, this is how whoever is hoping to hurt E-bay's operations. Pretty sad we think.

Today, I still have some programs to install. We've lost all our bookmarked sites, photos, all sorts of stuff and it's a major PITA. I'm just thankful that Momfish's cousin Alex knows how to do all this stuff, otherwise we'd be forced to call someone in at major expense to sort it all out.

If you've ever bought anything off E-bay I think I'd get in there and wipe my details out until they get this sorted. They are aware of it and were sending out warning messages to users. I just hope that this thing didn't hijack the mail system and send itself to any of our contacts. We think it's possible that we got it via a mail from a supplier, because they were experiencing some mail problems which delayed a purchase delivery. We got the stuff though :)

Using E-Bay has been a fun way of getting something we wanted at a reasonable price and so far, the vendors we've purchased from have been very good with delivery and also with communication. It's a great pity that some jerk out there has written a program that works like this because it's going to hurt a good thing and affect a lot of people until such time as E-Bay get a handle on it. I'm suprised that there's not (to our knowledge) been anything in the press about this, but maybe it's too new.

Martin.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with