Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Clout and Loaches - Update

Posted By: LeadFoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Monday, 26 January 2004, at 9:04 p.m.

Unlike the instructions on many med labels, the instructions on the Clout label seem accurate. When they say not to use with loaches and bottom feeders, I think they were right...to some extent.

My striatas and zebra are all ailing. I only used one treatment, and so far 5 days later, and 1 striata and 1 zebra have died. I believe they were burned by the Clout. The remaining ones look like they're going to start bleeding out soon. None of them are eating, and they look very red in some areas on their bodies, especially where their fins meet their bodies. I also lost a siamese algae eater, who looked like acid ate his head and a thick opaque film covered both eyes. He was swimming as if blinded.

My cactus leopard pleco, 4 bushynose and snowball pleco have stopped eating. 3 of the bushynose are now gulping air every so often. I'm assuming the Clout may have damaged some internal organs, specifically they're swim bladders.

On the positive side, interestingly, the clowns, angelicus and histrionicas have fared the Clout well. Also, 2 geophagus cichlids colors came roaring back, and they began eating heartily.

Assuming the Clout killed whatever was in the tank, the day after using Clout, I did a 50% water change, and went back to only Praziquantel for a day to continue the internal parasite ridding, while allowing the remaining Clout to dissipate. A siamese algae eater, one bushynose pleco and a geophagus that looked like it had improved significanyl started emitting white stringy feces. The next day I started dosing with Quick Cure for two days (to continue the ectoparasite ridding the Clout started). Worried that QuickCure might be too harsh on the bottom feeders, especially after the Clout, yesterday I did another massive water change, and switched to Paragon II, which is supposed to be more gentle.

This morning, 12 hours later, one of my "recovering" geophagus looks like he's swarmed with ICH, only not spots, but patches like clusters of ICH cysts, and only on his fins. He still has the stringy feces. A friend who imports koi from Japan says it sounds like the med burned him, because ICH would not be able to colonize that quickly, especially with all the meds in the water. I'm thinking he might be right, since the geophagus is not flashing at all.

He also said that I may be killing all my fish, which I don't doubt, since in the past month I've pretty much used anything and everything in the tanks. He thinks I should just change the water and don't feed anything for 3 or 4 days. While I agree with some of his theory, all the livebearers, the rest of the cichlids, clown loaches and kribensis all seem to be eating, so I want to keep their immune systems up.

What really sucks is that I still have flashing fish. I'm starting to think that I should just flush all the flashing fish, because they could very well be hosts protecting whatever parasite I've got so well, that without removing them from the tanks, I'll continue to have a host who's passing the bugs on.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Messages In This Thread