Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Harold - I think I Might've Found the Cause!

Posted By: LeadFoot <leadfoot@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Friday, 30 January 2004, at 2:07 a.m.

I thought I might post some findings I discovered while researching a persistent plague I'm currently battling. Hope it's not too late.

It turns out that the parasitic Velvet Disease is much different than you might think. Most information on Oodinium, which causes Velvet, leads us to believe that Velvet is indicated by a light powdery coating similar to ICH, but much finer and gold in color, on fish. From what I've been learning lately, by the time it even reaches that state, you've got HEAVY infestation, and it's been destroying gills for a long time prior to that.

Anyway, one of the end results of a bad case of Velvet can be THE PEELING AWAY OF SKIN, which is what I think you mentioned in a previous post. Also, the Velvet showing on the fish apparently is not necessarily always gold or yellow, IT CAN BE WHITE! Isn't that what you said you had? "White stuff, not ICH"?

Furthermore, the rate of die-off becomes quick among many fish once Velvet reaches a certain level of infestation. As well, the visible clinical signs we are all brainwashed into thinking are the ONLY signs to look for, may NOT necessarily even appear!

I've also learned through a fish farm that often only SOME fish in a tank will be affected by a parasite, even though ALL fish are susceptible. Some fish have stronger immune systems, better mucous coatings, and more, that make then resistant to parasites like Velvet.

Messages In This Thread