Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Dealing with Algae on Live Plants

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@NOSPAMaol.com>
Date: Thursday, 5 February 2004, at 11:05 a.m.

My little 6-gallon Eclipse (AKA Home of Blutto the Betta) is my first tank with live plants. I moved the tank to my office on Monday and up until now it's been doing well, but I've begun to see brownish green slime algae start to coat the plant leaves. I have a nice little Oto going through quarantine right now, but it is going to be a couple of weeks until he's ready to move in with Blutto. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help the plants from succumbing?

There is also a little green fur algae on the walls of the tank, but so far it's left the plants alone. The tank gets approx. 8-10 hours of light a day from the flourescent bulb that came with the Eclipse. The substrate is a mix of Fluorite and natural gravel from my main tank and I dose with Flourish Excel twice a week.

I've been manually rubbing this stuff off the plants with larger leaves, but it comes right back. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robin

Messages In This Thread

View Thread |