Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

OT: Adventures With A Planted Aquarium

Posted By: Joe Loach <jloach@ont.com>
Date: Monday, 9 February 2004, at 12:18 a.m.

My 80 gal is more high tech than not, but I don't have *all* the bells and whistles: Pressurized CO2, pH controller (stays at 6.7 -- KH is 4, CO2 ~27ppm), ~2 watts per gal lighting via 4 - t8 bults, Eco-complete substrate.

Over the past few months, I've been adding equipment to the tank, and changing the way I dose. I've experimented with a lot of things.

IME, what's surprised is that I can *significantly* minimize spot algae by dosing phosphate to a range of .3 - 1.0 ppm (along with the Excel, nitrate, potassium and traces). A few weeks back, I had trouble keeping spot algae in line, in spite of adding all the above, until phosphates were added to the mix.

I heard years back that one should limit phosphates in a planted tank in order to fight algae. IME, that hasn't been the case. When I limited phosphates, spot algae took off big time. When I dose phosphates within a limited lower range (.3 - 1.0 ppm) spot algae has been *very* minimal. Interesting!

Hair algae has been minimized by dosing nitrates to a range of 5 - 10 ppm. If I don't dose nitrates, the growth of the plants slow and hair algae seem to get an upper hand. When nitrates are dosed, growth increases and algae decreases.

Nitrates are dosed the form of Potassium Nitrate. Phosphates are dosed in the form of Potassium Phosphate. I ordered the dry form of each and mix it using a dosing calculator that's online. It's a lot less expensive than having to purchase it in liquid form (i.e. Seachem). So, the plants get the "big three" macronutrients of Potassium, Nitrates and Phosphates. Traces (micronutrients) are in the form of Seachem Flourish and Flourish Iron.

Again, this is in a high tech, medium light tank.

I just thought I'd share what I'm finding.

JL

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.