Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Kuhli vs. Myer's

Posted By: cichlid kid <cryry2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, 11 February 2004, at 2:15 p.m.

Long ago I bought a small loach labelled as a Kuhli, however when it grew up it was quite apparent from it's size it was actually a Meyer's. Sadly this fish died, so I went to replace it and bouhgt 4 small loaches also labelled as Kuhlis. I read that a true kuhli has 15 to 20 bars, while a Meyer's has 10 to 14. It's hard to catch all 4 out at the same time, but I count 11 to 13 on mine. How reliable is the number of bars as an indicator of species? Also some of the bars on my loaches look like two stuck together w/ a short narrow strip of the orange from the rest of the body terminating about 1/2 way up, and 1 simply has an orange spot in the middle. Should I count these as 2 bars or 1? What about the loaches that are all brown? I've had these before & assumed they were Meyer's, from the photos in Axelro