Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Who has Otos?

Posted By: JR King <TrueEchidna@aol.com>
Date: Friday, 20 February 2004, at 2:27 p.m.

I tried to research them but all I see is ..difficult...ugly...die easy...eat algae well.
gee, that is no help. The articles don't even agree with water temps! No one saying mine do grat and THIS (=test results) is my water doing it ....
So far the ones I have in QT are starting look much better and color up. I wouldn't call them ugly or plain. The duller colored two do have catfish faces though.Like corys that went to fashion model school. All three stick to the side next to the filter when not rummaging the the tank for tidbits. I used the poly's exQt as theirs. So it has good media and water quality already. And some algae funk here and there for nibbling.

I am not even sure all three fish are the same specie animal.The new marine specialty store doesn't seem very saavy about the freshwater fish they carry. And I overheard them slammin my regular lfs because his tanks are not "pretty".
I see theirs are getting pretty funky now after 2 months. What is the difference? I've never seen dead fish brought back to my regular guy.

I do know they do rotten Qt becuase critters go from box to tank. They had a hand-to-sea urchin incident during a hasty switch after a transfer. (Guess urchie was starvin and wanted an anenome snack immediatedly. heh! HE was rewarded a needle in his hand for his efforts) With that in mind...I do want to be sure they are truly otos before they go with the chocolate gourami. they are scheduled a 4 week QT as well.
I turned the chocolates temp down a little to accomodate the otos in case they cant tolerate 30C. I thought the were goners yesterday morning. But after acclimitizing them to my water over 10 hours I put them in QT and they looked really cute about an hour later.
What is a good place for oto specific info?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.