Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Kubotai Environment...

Posted By: Barbara <bjmaitri@megalink.net>
Date: Monday, 23 February 2004, at 10:01 a.m.

my three kubotais have gone into hiding never to be seen during the light of day (only a slight overstatement!). They don't even rush out for food although, frustratingly, they will come out for flake food sometimes. sigh.

So am wondering what is wrong in the environment as they used to be out all the time. too much current? too much caves? need wood? (none in there now, just an intense series of caves.)

Am wondering, from those of you who keep them and have them being "present" and visible, what your environment is like? Mine are alone in the tank with the exception of 4 dithers (3/4" mollies)....who i'd like to remove as they eat all the food it seems. : (

I have two filters running on this tank...one high on the cave end (eheim 2215)...fairly slow outflow but does ruffle water surface, and on the other end, low near the substrate, an Eheim 2224 (?...or 2024...early pro series, middle size) with middle size outflow and a couple of weeks ago i added a powerhead on that far end...about 200 gph outflow i guess....this is in a 40BR...a three foot long tank, 18" front to back and about 16" high. is this too much current? Also, since they will hide in the lowest levels of the caves, i'm wondering if building them up two levels or so is too much?

If you have any insights, please let me know as i am about to redo this whole setup today.

do your kubotais live with other loaches? if so which ones and do they get along ok?

thanks!
barbara

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg </