Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Chinese Butterfly loach???

Posted By: Jim Powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Monday, 23 February 2004, at 4:44 p.m.

I went to a lfs today to check out the fish and they had "Borneo suckers" and "Chinese Butterfly loaches" in the same tank. Normally, that would just be two names for the same fish, most likely Beaufortia. However, when I looked in the tank, there were at least three species. There were the normal Beaufortia, some with very interesting markings, as well as a gorgeous sinogastromyzon.These had come in as borneo suckers. The really cool thing was what had come in as Chinese butterfly loaches. They were a species of hillstream that I have never seen before. They have the sucker type fins of a P. cheni and the long body of a protomyzon. They had a tan base with bars and spot