Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Leadfoot, re your disease saga...

Posted By: robroy <robroy220@netscape.net>
Date: Saturday, 27 March 2004, at 4:57 p.m.

....that you had determined, as I recall, was a form of velvet...how did that ever end? Mine is still going on. Did symptoms (in advanced stages)include fin and/or tail rot, gray patches in the slime coat sometimes including eyes, clamped fins in some species (not necessarily loach)? I have lost several long-time occupants of a couple different tanks, some that I have had for around three years, and looks like a couple more are on their way out.

After I lost my last clown, in one tank, some weeks ago, I treated that tank with two consecutive treatments of Formalite 2( This variation of FORMALITE is colorless and is excellent for the treatment of protozoan parasites on fish, i.e., for use against: Velvet, Oodinium, Cryptocaryon, Shimmy and for White Spots, Body Fungus, Collapsed Fins and Listlessness. It is a blend of Formaldehyde, Copper and Nickel Sulfate (no Malachite Green). It is all fish safe and will not affect the biological filter bed. ) and so far no more deaths (at least having those symptoms) in that tank, (knock on wood). I've just located a source for some more of the product and ordered several bottles so now I will be able to try the treatment on my 6' tank. I don't know that anything works once a fish has already contracted a bad case of whatever it is, ime...seems that you were down on formalin type products for some reason, as I recall, but the product had always worked like a charm for me (on ich and shimmy) so I thought I'd give it a try.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.