Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Kubotais Acting Odd

Posted By: cybermeez <cybermeez@NOSPAMaol.com>
Date: Wednesday, 5 May 2004, at 9:06 p.m.

I know "odd" is a relative term when it comes to Botias, but hear me out.....

I know a Clown Loach dispute when I see one (graying out and shoving each other side by side), but I'm not sure what the heck 2 of my Kubotais are doing.

The behavior consists of a seemingly endless cycle of chasing each otherís tails in a very tight circle at lightning speed. This is interspersed with short sessions of vertical hovering in the water column. I've never witnessed this behavior in any Botia before. The 2 fish involved don't appear to gray out and no one seems to be getting hurt. Both fish are the largest of the 5 Kubotais though one is slightly smaller than the other. The smallest of the pair seems to be the instigator. What they are up to? Am I witnessing some sort of Kubotai power play?