Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

mass mortality

Posted By: Jonathan Wilson <wilson_jm@cimar.org>
Date: Friday, 7 May 2004, at 9:09 a.m.

Hello,
I am in dire need of help. I am trying to establish a population of Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Asian weather loach) in the lab for use in scientific studies. The problem is that they are dying in massive numbers. We have tried 4 or 5 times to import +200 animals and they are usually all dead within a week. We have tried two different importers from two different sources (Singapore and HongKong). They are dying from a bacterial infection (gram positive). They develop lesions and/or hemorages. Antibiotic treatment is somewhat helpful. The water also seems OKay (pH, temp,DO)and other fish do fine in it. Does anyone have any idea why these animals might be dying like this. It is really disheartening. I have worked with them in the past and know them to be really hardy animals.
Any advice would be greatl