Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

OT ...Darters

Posted By: Jim Powers <jimpowers@prodigy.net>
Date: Sunday, 16 May 2004, at 4:20 p.m.

Today I went to a nearby state forest to see if I could see any darters spawning and check out the cicada situation. No cicadas surprisingly, but I was lucky enough to observe either Orangethroat or Ranibow darters (or both) guarding their redds on the stream bottom. Once I figured out the preferred spawning sites, it was relatively easy to find them. They preferred pockets of clean, small diameter gravel in moderate to low current. Since the bottom of this stream is primarily solid, or fractured limestone with areas covered with flat pieces one inch to several inches accross, the gravel areas are quite obvious. I would approach the areas and watch the darters swim away in the gin clear water, only to come back after a few minutes. At one site, a female ent