Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Jump Proof

Posted By: Wannabe
Date: Sunday, 23 May 2004, at 5:03 p.m.

Dojo (weather)loaches are notorious for jumping. I had two for years that did not jump. I was sure my tank was jump proof. more or less. It is a deep 65 corner tank, with lids. At the front there is only a 2 1/2 in x 3" space for the hose of the 3rd filter and also for feeding. IMO it's not big enough for a fish to jump through.

This morning my husband went as is his habit out the front door to get the paper. On his return he noticed something on the floor that at first he thought might be a dog turn and then thought it was a giant slug. It was one of my new pair of Dojo's. I do not know HOW he managed to get out of that hole! My husband went "Oh sh***" which is how I became aware of the situation and grabbed a partial glass of water that had been sitting on the counter for a day (my son's donation to housekeeping). Poor Dojo was covered with dog hair. I then remembered that our water has chloromine in it & had a fit. Fortunately I had a gallon of conditioned water on the counter and was able to get him in a bucket with that water, which I poured over him several times to get the hair off the poor thing. I then put a teasp. of Pima in with him, as he had rolled belly up twice. His gills were still moving, which was a good sign. I was hoping he'd make it through this, as I had read stories about Dojo's doing this and surviving. After about 20 minutes, I snagged him in a cup and put him back home in the tank. He hung out in a corner for a while, went belly up once, then righted. After 1/2 hour he disappeared. He is hiding in a Loach hide-out and probably won't be out for a bit. I have been checking. I have 3 of them in that tank, and I now where they hide.

Poor fish!!!!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.