Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

External Parasites - I've Finally Won

Posted By: Gareth Dominy <gdominy@msn.com>
Date: Tuesday, 1 June 2004, at 1:32 p.m.

Leadfoot you will appreciate this....

I'm sure many people will recall many of the odd infections.. periodic tank ailments.. and whatnot that were plaguing my 135 Gallon loach tank over the last 2 years... Like Leadfoot.. I hit my tank with everything on the market and had extremely limited sucsess... (Yes, even with the new maracide). After I lost 2 of my Horseface Loaches recently I was fed up with the constant chemical warfare. My water conditions are excellent in every respect yet disease problems still persisted. Oh, and I should mention that I believe that teh chronic infection I have been fighting was Oodinum (stop groaning Leadfoot I can hear you already, heh heh).

Anyway... I caved. I bought an 18 Watt UV Sterilizer.. Its a Coralife Turbotwist 6X. I set it up to run inline with my Fluval 404 and reduced the flow to around 100GPH... This was about 2 months ago now.

After 2 months of usage my tank now appears to be completely parasite free. All the loaches look great... the subtle visible patchyness has dissapeared and they are in full colour again... I've also noticed that the Loaches have all grown.. considerably! This was a quite a shock because they had slowed in growth for several months before, so this is a pleasent surprise. My Bala's are also showing a huge improvement.. they are still skittish.. but tehir finish has gone from a dull steel colour to a brightly flashy silver... Every time the bala's zoom around the tank I am finding myself drawn to them.

I know this really doesnt have any real info or recomendations, but I am finally relieved to see things improving. I wanted to share some positive news for once..

Gareth

Messages In This Thread