Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Abnormal Belly-bulges

Posted By: Mike R. <XfeeliumX@hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, 11 June 2004, at 3:02 a.m.

Hey y'all. I'm happy to report that my loaches are doing excellent. Except for my as of yet unknown Cobitis species, which was a very skittish, rarely seen fish. He had his fins chomped fairly early on, and ended up with paddles. Well he met with the Modesta for his second dance with death and well.. didn't make it. Everyone else is doing great!

Now onto my question. When you see a fish at the LFS or even in your tank, and it has an oddly bulging belly, what does this mean? My first guess would be infection or gorging.. But, I picked up a fabulous oddball recently (Violet Goby, aka Dragon Fish). I've been concerned that he hasn't been eating. They're filter-feeders, and my pea-gravel may be too large for him to sift through. He appeared fine until yesterday, and he now has a large bulge in his belly area (before anus). It looks almost like a solid mass (I was wondering if maybe he swallowed some gravel on accident?). I've seen this in many fish before, on my loaches after bloodworms, and on some sickly LFS fish. But I suppose my concern is heightened now becos of my new pet. Do any of you know what causes this? Or have any info on filter feeders, and whether they can actually swallow gravel? I'd greatly appreciate anything y'all know for current use and future hindsight. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with