Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

interesting thing about salt and white fuzz

Posted By: KT
Date: Friday, 23 July 2004, at 3:42 a.m.

I posted awhile back about little white hairs on my two 12 year old dojo loaches. Little white hairs like the hair that may be on your upper arm...or the back of a woman’s hand only *white*.

Well it obviously wasn't ick or anything that I could identify by those crappy "skin infection" diagrams that come on the medication packages in the pet stores. The only tip I was able to get from anyone was "Add some salt to the tank," (because I *never* have) "...and treat with Rid-ich."

Well I was nervous about adding the salt and more nervous about the Rid-ich so I diluted one tablespoon of rock salt from the pet store and added it to the tank. The next day all the white hairs were gone.

A week or so later here they are again. I did a 1/4 water change and added another dissolved tbsp of salt. White hairs gone within an hour.

What is going on here?