Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Off topic. Large Cichlid

Posted By: Adam
Date: Friday, 27 August 2004, at 5:45 p.m.

As most of you know i keep a pretty large red devil in a 55 gallon tank with a rhino pleco. Latley past month or so ive been noticing his behavoirs changing. He has always been highly agressive and territorial(yes he will bite the hand that feeds him) and always ate like a pig. Latley his eating has been sporatic at best. I researched a little and found that ive been keeping him at too low a PH and hardness. Seems they are found close to coastal regions. Ok my question. Any advice on raising the PH and harness without using chemicals? I know some coral in the tank will do it some. Anyone familiar with using dolomite for this? Or Tufa rock? Do these two ever loose their buffering ability and need replacment? Any advice would help.
P.S. dirtiest fish i ever came in contact with.

&n