Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

20 Gallon Long Woes

Posted By: Taratron
Date: Sunday, 26 September 2004, at 4:24 p.m.

So I've had this tank in my bedroom for a little over a year now, and I realize that I am completely bored of the fish in there, save for a few!

I realize also how shallow that sounds. Mmm. Yes, I went and bought these fish, some of them 10 months ago, and they just don't excite me, or entice me. Gods, I sound like someone who only adopts a cat if its fur matches the furniture.

Does this happen to anyone else?

It's quite a mix of fish. A pair of BN pl*cos I just can't get to spawn (and the female is filled with eggs right now too!), 3 nezzie swordtails, habrosus cories, and some peacock gobies, all of which I love and want to keep. However, there's a croaking gourami I've had for a while, and he was the bottom of the totem pole when I had other croakers, but brilliant blue and purple. I get rid of the competition, and now he spends his time hiding. The cherry barbs were a nice addition, until the males all went harikiri, and now the females are taking to nipping at the fins of the dwarf cories. I even added some peppered cories, paletus, some months ago, and I see them emerge from the thicket of plants maybe once or twice a week. My bronze cories are out and about all the time, but not these guys. My BANJO cats are out more often!

So is it something I am doing wrong? I change the water, 50%, twice a week, fertilize the plants, masses of java moss and hornwort, twice a week. Feeding every other day, usually wafers, frozen, or live food.

So I'm not pleased with the tank. I want to revamp it, redo the plant scene, toss the barbs, the gourami, and the peppered cories to the fish auction. Maybe turn this into a Lake Tang shelldweller tank, which means I need to move the bristlenoses and the swords and the others, but I just don't know.

Does anyone else revamp a tank like so?

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The L