Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Botia geto and taxonomy

Posted By: Cybermeez <cybermeez@NOSPAMaol.com>
Date: Thursday, 7 October 2004, at 10:14 a.m.

The recent taxonomy discussion has left me wondering about 4 little loaches I bought last week. The wholesaler had them labeld as Botia geto which according to the LOL species index is an old name fo B. rostrata. The list Igor was kind to share has B. rostrata as something completely different than B. geto. Ola just commented in a post below that B. geto is a synonym for B. dario, so now I'm a little confused. :-)

These little critters look like young rostrata to me. It is possible the wholesaler misidentified them (lord knows this happens all too often) but I'm not clear as to what I should be calling these fish. B. rostrata/geto/dayii, which is the correct one?

I'll try to get some photos to post today because they sure are cute little buggers!

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg