Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Oh boy . .. .

Posted By: Drew In California <azweizthnkweiziz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, 27 October 2004, at 2:01 a.m.

So the other day when i got home from school i went to my room to do a routine check on my tanks. I then decided to clean my Eheim 2224 because it had been a while. Soon after i am done cleaning it, and setting it back under my stand. I hook the hoses back into the correct position, and turn it on. It immediatly begins leaking from the four latches on each corner. I immediatly shut off the hoses connection with the filter, and remozed the top module from the bottom. I put it back on, and turned the filter on yet again. It began to leak again, same spots. I disassembled it and reesmbled it and observed where it was leaking from. Some how there openings in the top module that allow water to pass through them. I had never noticed this before because this has never been a problem. In a rush to get to my spanish tutor; i tested it one more time and it still leaked. So i merely shut the filter off, not shuting the valves that stop the flow from the tank through the filter. So about 4 hours later, now around 9:30, i return to my room to find my tank about 25% full, and about 30 gallons of water soaked into my carpet. With 5 hours of time to seap deep into the carpet and the cushioning beneith the carpet, you can imagine that this was a serious situation. The only thing stopping the tank from draining completly with its 20+ residence left to gasp bare air, was that the intake to the filter had reached the point where it was sucking in air, not water.

This was all yestarday. Today a carpet cleaner guy came and sucked the water from the 5ft radius around my 50 gallon ( we had to drain the tank and remove the fish to a large container in order to move it) Now I have to sleep in my guest room, as there are huge fans airing out the underside of the soaked carpet. So i've given up on the Eheim 2224, and what sucks mroe is i can't replace it for the cheap price of $99.99 i got it for, because they no longer carry them. This lead's me to my question, which filter would be good for my 50 gallon river tank? I loved how the 2224 has a spray bar to divert the flow from it in the right direction of the over all flow of the tank. I was thinking of getting a Magnum 350 . . .

Messages In This Thread