Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

polished rocks...agates...

Posted By: Barbara <bjmaitri@megalink.net>
Date: Wednesday, 17 November 2004, at 5:13 a.m.

my daughter is starting up a 29G tank (lucky me...just as i come to visit her!). she has a large assortment of home tumbled, polished rocks that she'd like to put into the aquarium. my father, years and years ago (he died in the early 90's) had picked the rocks up on the beach in Oregon and then "polished" them in a home tumbler. i think the initial process was simply an abrasive one but it seems there might have been something added at the end for the high polish.

does anyone know if this kind of rock (home tumbled, polished) is aquarium safe? she asked at a LFS in Eugene and they thought they'd be okay but to boil them if she had any concern.

and what would others recommend for a beginning fish. i have some ideas but would like to hear others' opinions. maybe she'd like a small group of striatas later on...: ))) so i guess i'm looking for an easy dither fish.

and, no livebearers!! LOL

Messages In This Thread