Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Stocking density

Posted By: Dave C <dclubine@shaw.ca>
Date: Thursday, 25 November 2004, at 8:04 p.m.

What is a safe stocking level? I have my 120g tanks up and running now. In one tank I've got the following:

8 clown loaches
1 Black Ghost Knife
4 Boesmani Rainbows
8 Praecox Rainbows
4 Synodontis Flavitaeniatus
6 Sailfin Mollies
2 L177 Plecos
6 Farlowella cats
1 Queen Arabesque Pleco
2 Emperor Pleco L204
6 Otocinclus
12 Bristlenose plecos

In another 120g I've got:

18 German Blue Rams
10 Gold Rams
1 Black Ghost Knife
2 Sunshine Pleco (L14)
4 Tiger Botias
50 Cardinal Tetras
17 Schwartzi Corydoras
6 Otocinclus
12 Bristlenose plecos
4 Skunk Loach
3 Weather Loach
6 Yoyo Loach
6 Zebra Loach

They don't seem crowded at all, but plenty of activity. I vacuum the bottom of both tanks daily. The Clown loach tank has black sand, the Ram tank has silica sand. Vacuuming removes about 25% of the water. Both tanks are filtered by a wet/dry as well as a HOT Magnum. I don't plan to add anything significan in terms of size to either tank.

Here's a pic of the Ram tank, just planted that day.

btw, this tank has 200w of light over 120g so all plants are low light types. This is a low tech tank, not meant to be densely planted. And the plants were put in the day before this pic was taken. There, all the legal stuff taken care of. :)

Messages In This Thread