Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

if it isn't ICH... what is it? *PIC*

Posted By: Raven <veilraven@hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 29 November 2004, at 1:03 p.m.

Hello everyone!

I have a 20 gallon aquarium with a few oto cats, a plecostomus, 3 clown loaches, and a handful of guppies.

Recently one of my clown loaches has been afflicted with white spots. At first I thought it was ich, so I treated the entire tank. I raised the temp to 80 and used Rid-Ich. (this has been going on for about 2 weeks now)

I did a 50% water change the first day I medicated, and did a 3 gallon bucket change every night before medicating again.

The fish all seem their normal healthy selves (voracious as always) with no flashing around or random scraping against aquarium objects. No one is sulking in the corner. All the loaches are chasing each other around to find the best perching spot on the sword plant...

If anything the plants are saturating the tank with oxygen, because I see all the oxygen bubbles forming under the anubias and such. The PH is at 6.9 (ish) (sometimes lower around 6.7, but never above 7.0 (thank you bog-wood). The aquarium has a sponge filter and a bio-wheel on it.

Anyway the one loach is covered in small white spots (picture attached). The spots never change (same place) and they don't go away or increase in number. They appeared out of blue (he came out to feed one afternoon and so he was all spotted.)

Short of being afflicted with spots, he's not sulking in the tank and plays around the tank
with the other loaches with no problems and is first in line at feeding time. The other fish have no signs of sharing the spotted-ness.

If anyone could help me with identifying what may be plaging my loach, I'd appreciate it.

Messages In This Thread