Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

slightly OT - setting up new 75g

Posted By: sirjonsnow <sirjonsnow@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 14 December 2004, at 10:21 a.m.

I'm going to set up my tank as a warmer, slower flowing, river setup for Kubotais, Barbs, and Danios.

My plan is to make kind of a two-tiered hill in the back part with caves and to make calmer areas of flow.

My idea is to make the the hill out of insulation foam - the solid pink or blue stuff that comes in big board-like sections. I can shape it, silicon slate to it to cover the sides and make caves, and there won't be any of the foam exposed to the fish. It will all be covered with slate on the sides and a couple inches of gravel on top (I could even make the slate extend above the foam to create a kind of bowl so the gravel doesn't get moved off the foam.

I've read some books that recommend a thin sheet of foam under big rocks (which I also