Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Long Term of Skinny Disease

Posted By: Larry
Date: Wednesday, 29 December 2004, at 8:19 p.m.

I wanted to get opinions / personal experience regarding the long term effects of skinny disease on loach growth. I haven't had much luck with smaller clown loaches surviving. Finally, last summer I purchased some tiny clown loaches (1/2") and immediately treated with Maracyn and Maracyn II for ten days before there were any signs of disease.

At summer's end,I purchased two more slightly larger loaches (approximately 1") and skipped the Maracyn treatment. Two of the four smallest loaches survived QT and have lived for several months with the larger loaches.

The smaller loaches have shown minimal growth so far, while the larger two seem to be about 50% larger in length and girth.

So, should I have the expectation that loaches that have suffered from SD will remained stunted to some degree or is my experience an anamoly??