Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Don't do this at home?

Posted By: Henrik <hpr@privat.dk>
Date: Saturday, 1 January 2005, at 3:24 p.m.

Now I've known for more than 20 years that I should always be careful to use water with approximately the same temperature as in the tank when changing water. But I also know that water from the hot tap can be bad for the fish - especially in my home where the hot water runs some 10-20 meters in cobber tubes. So how do you temperate 10 gallons of water for a waterchange? I just haven't done that. Instead for 3-4 years I've simply added cold water right from the tap.

Of course I've known that I should be careful and refill the tank slowly to stress fish as little as possible. I've seen how the cold water lowers the temperature in the tank by ca. 5 degrees celsius in those 5-10 minutes it takes me to refill. In the following minutes the temperature goes back up some 1-2 degrees as the heat from gravel and stones in the tank spreads to the water.

I've had no problems from doing this... Usually the fish simply swim away from where the cold water leaves the hose. But then last night a small gastromyzon (newcomer) stayed right in the cold spray. He passed out. Fell over and lay on his back for maybe 4-5 minutes before he came back. He's fine now as far as I can see. Acts just like he did before. But I almost lost my license to chill. Gotta be more careful I guess.

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.