Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

hairs on fins of hillstreams

Posted By: Myra VanInwegen <myra@myra-simon.com>
Date: Tuesday, 8 February 2005, at 8:56 a.m.

I've had my two hillstream loaches (Beaufortia kweichowensis) for over a month now. The little one, which was so shy at first, has started to come out alot more, and is eating algae from the bogwood and the plants leaves as well as from the glass. So this is good...

But I've noticed some little white hairs, about 3mm long, sticking out from the edges of their fins (the fins on the sides, pectoral I think they're called, not the top or tail fin). The hairs seem to be more or less in the same direction as the rays in the fins. I haven't had a chance to get a really good look at them, but as far as I can see, other than that they look normal, and they are acting normal as well, grazing algae, etc. Any idea what this might be?