Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Mystery Loach

Posted By: Kit <kitjaguar@comcast.net>
Date: Friday, 25 February 2005, at 4:18 p.m.

Yesterday I popped into my lfs, and they had a couple of loaches they called Burmese Border Loaches. Apparently they did not have a scientific name provided by the supplier. I looked in the species index, and the only thing called 'Burmese' anything was the kubotai, and they definitely aren't that. They don't seem to match any of the pictures, although I know from discussions here that color and pattern morphs are common. My guess is that the supplier was using the term to mean a fish that came from near the Burmese border, rather than as an actual name.

They are about 1.5 inches long, and look dreadfully skinny, although they are plenty active. They are shaped like a yo-yo, with black and silver vertical stripes that are about equal in size to each other, and maybe a quarter of an inch wide (in other words, not fine stripes). They are single stripes along the entire body, except for a y-shape fork by the dorsal fin, and the stripes start wide on top, zig slightly half-way down the body, and taper to a point just before getting to the flat ventral surface. They also each have silver tails with black tips. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

And before you ask the obvious question, I took photos, but still only have a 35mm film camera. I have ordered a digital (I can't stand that everyone can post lovely pictures and I can't see if mine are any good for days!!!), but it won't arrive for 3 or 4 days yet. I'll post a shot as soon as I can. Just wondered if the description triggered any thoughts.

Cheers,

Kit.

Messages In This Thread