Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Today's topic: spitting sand from gills?

Posted By: Trish <loughran@uiuc.edu>
Date: Friday, 22 April 2005, at 10:03 a.m.

Sorry to have so many questiosn this week, but I brought two new loaches into the house and they are absorbing my curiosity and raising lots of interesting new questions! One is a sand loach and the other is a weather loach and they are quite different from the yoyos and clowns I have previously kept.

So... My weather loach appears to be going about the tank happily scavenging. He sorts through the sand substrate and my partner and I both noticed this morning that he appears to put pieces of sand in his mouth and then they squirt out his gills like he's a vacuum cleaner! Has anyone seen this before? I'm just wondering if sand is a safe substrate for weather loaches or if this might harm him.

It is pool filter sand, btw, which I cleaned very c