Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (6)

Speculating on a new river tank...

Posted By: Mark in Vancouver <markmark@telus.net>
Date: Wednesday, 1 June 2005, at 5:28 p.m.

My 20g brook tank and my 20g long river tank are soon going to become one, I think. The loaches in the brook tank need more swimming room, and I think I can get away with combining
Beaufortia x 2
S. kongphengi x 2
S. mahnerti x 2
P. fasciatus x 3
A. rubidipinnis x 2
L. disparis x1
S. pulchra x 4
S. robusta x 1
M. pulcher x 3

These would all end up in a four foot long tank, as deep as possible, and as short (height) as possible. 55 gallons? Unheated.
With Martin's computer down, I think I can say that I would not use the river manifold system again. It works well in the 20 long tank I've got, but I don't like being unable to clean the actual plumbing from time to time. 3 Aquaclear mini HOB filters along the length of it, with one or more powerheads at one end to add flow and oxygen. Lots more rocks, and less focus on plants.
I find that in the brightly lit river tanks any plants end up coated with algae of various kinds anyways.
Just a tank and cover/lights needed... Hmmm...
AND - importantly - this time I'm going to get rid of the 2 20 gallon tanks during the process so they don't all end up full of fish again.

Has anyone got a 4' river tank set up already - or larger?

Messages In This Thread